Loyola Marymount University (LMU) is offering a professional development certificate in Teaching Mandarin in PreK-12 Classrooms this summer, between May 2018 and February 2019. This hybrid (online) program is taught in Mandarin by experienced and exemplary instructors and is geared specifically for Mandarin speakers and teachers in immersion, bilingual/dual language and heritage language programs for the purpose of increasing their instructional skills. Course content is designed for credentialed Teachers and non-credentialed teachers who have intermediate or advanced skills in Mandarin. The 12-unit continuing education program of study is offered through a combination of on-site, online, and video-telecast meetings.
- Course 1a – Content-based Instruction in Mandarin – 4 units (New Scholars)
- Course 1b – Content-based Instruction in Mandarin – 2 units (Returning Scholars)
- Course 2 – Practicum in Teaching Mandarin- 1 unit (New Scholars)
- Course 3ab – Assessment and Oral Proficiency – 4 units (New Scholars)
- Course 3b – Assessment and Oral Proficiency Practicum – 1 unit (Returning Scholars)
- Course 4 – Chinese Grammar Pedagogy- 3 units (New Scholars)
- Requirements: Completion of four courses, 12 units total.
- Grade Requirements: "B" or better in each class
Successful completion of three, four (4) unit courses with a grade of "B" or better is required to earn the Certificate. Participants can earn a total of up to 12 continuing education units. Prior to course enrollment, participants should check district requirements for CEU acceptance and salary point equivalency.