Join LMU Upward Bound Programs!
Thinking about college? So much information, but you don't know where to begin? We understand and that's why we are here to help!
Think help might be too expensive? Look no further! All Upward Bound services are FREE of cost to all UB & UBMS participants.
Apply today to join in on our advising, summer sessions, college field trips and so much more!
Who Does Upward Bound Serve?
LMU Upward Bound programs (UB & UBMS) serve 9th - 12th-grade students who attend Westchester Enriched Sciences Magnets (WESM), who come from low-income families in which neither parent has earned a bachelor's degree.
Services provided include, but are not limited to:
- Weekly academic advising and tutoring at *WESM.
- SAT/ACT prep and assistance with the college and financial aid application process.
- Local college *visits and Spring Break tour (for eligible juniors) of Northern California colleges/universities.
- Social, cultural, and leadership enrichment activities and community service.
- Required monthly Academy sessions at *LMU during the academic year.
- Required six-week summer program at *LMU (two weeks of commuting each day and four weeks living on the LMU campus) including paid internships for eligible seniors.
*Currently, due to COVID-19 all of our events are virtual.
To be eligible for LMU Upward Bound programs interested students must:
- Attend WESM
- Be in the 9th, 10th or 11th grade
- Have an academic need and want to go to college
- Meet low-income family guidelines and be potential first-generation college students
- Two-thirds of our students must be both first-generation or low-income.
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Submit an application during recruitment at one of the target high schools
- September 2020 - March 2021
Since we are a federally-funded program, we are subject to audits to ensure that we meet all requirements in our grant. In the event of an audit, we must be able to provide proof that our program participants meet the above eligibility requirements. Therefore, copies of birth certificate and Social Security Card are required for a complete application.
- Submit Online Application
- Eligible students, along with one parent/guardian, will be invited for a mandatory interview.
- Admission Decision
- Admitted students and parents/guardians will be notified via the e-mail listed on the application.
- *Admission decisions are contingent on Fall grades
- Once Admitted, student MUST attend orientation with a parent/guardian.
- Student must participate in the Summer Program: June 14 - July 25, 2021.
Important Dates for student applications:
- Round one application deadline: December 11, 2020
- Round two application deadline: January 25, 2021
- Round three application deadline: March 26, 2021
If you have additional questions please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.