Join LMU Upward Bound Programs!
Thinking about college? So much information, but you don't know where to begin? We understand and that's why we are here to help!
Think help might be too expensive? Look no further! All Upward Bound services are FREE of cost to all UB & UBMS participants.
Apply today to join in on our advising, summer sessions, college field trips and so much more!
Who Does Upward Bound Serve?
Currently, we serve Westchester Enriched Sciences Magnets (WESM) high school. LMU Upward Bound programs ( UB & UBMS) serve 9th - 12th-grade students from low-income families in which neither parent has earned a bachelor's degree.
During this academic year, LMU UB & UBMS is recruiting 9th & 10th-grade students only, as all other grade levels are currently filled to capacity.
Services provided include, but are not limited to:
- Weekly academic advising and tutoring at WESM.
- SAT/ACT prep and assistance with the college and financial aid application process.
- Local college visits and Spring Break tour (for eligible juniors) of Northern California colleges/universities.
- Social, cultural, and leadership enrichment activities and community service.
- Required monthly Saturday Academy sessions at LMU during the academic year.
- Required six-week summer program at LMU (two weeks of commuting each day and four weeks living on the LMU campus) including paid internships for eligible seniors.
To qualify for LMU Upward Bound programs interested students must:
- Attend WESM
- Be in the 9th or 10th grade
- Have an academic need and want to go to college
- Meet low-income family guidelines and be potential first-generation college students
- Two-thirds of our students must be both first-generation or low-income.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the U.S.
- Submit an application during recruitment at one of the target high schools
- October 2019 - November 2019
Submit your application to our Academic Advisors Ms. Dulce and Ms. Paola:
WESM High School
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, from dismissal - 5:00 pm
Regular Admission: November 21 (*admissions notification by January 10)
Please meet with Ms. Dulce and Ms. Paola if you have additional questions, or contact them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once students have submitted an application, their application will be reviewed for eligibility. Once reviewed, academic advisors will send an email to the students inviting them and their parent/guardian for an in-person interview. If you have received a confirmation email inviting you for an interview, please select a time that is most convenient for you via the button below.