Undergraduate Student _ Part 1

Undergraduates already enrolled at LMU work with the Center for Undergraduate Teacher Preparation to complete and submit the following requirements. 

  1. Complete the following prerequisite courses and maintain a GPA of 3.0 or better. Prerequisite courses are only available to students with sophomore standing (30 semester hours earned) or higher. Interested first year students need to contact the Academic Program Director.
    • EDES 414 Theories of Second Language Acquisition (3 semester hours)
    • EDSS 444 Observation and Participation in General and Special Education (3 semester hours)
    • EDSS 453 Introduction to the Study of Disability and Special Education (3 semester hours)
    • EDSS 454 Major Issues and Foundations of Special Education (2 semester hours)
    • EDSS 455 Development of IEPs for Students with Exceptional Needs (1 semester hour)
    • A "B" (3.0) grade point average must be maintained in all prerequisite and in all education credential coursework. The grade of "D" (1.0) is not acceptable in any of the coursework in the sequence.
  2. Teacher Education Application Form
  3. Statement of Intent
  4. Candidate Information Sheet
  5. One set of official transcripts from all non-LMU colleges and universities attended (if applicable)
  6. Letters of recommendations. One letter must be from your major advisor.
  7. Verification of 20 hours of experience working with culturally and linguistically diverse youth groups, ages 4-22, or Plan of Action of Completion of 20 hours prior to Student Teaching
  8. California Basic Educational Skills Test (CBEST) original passing score report
  9. Subject Matter Plan of Action Completion
    1. Elementary Emphasis: Students will demonstrate mastery of the required subject matter by completing the Liberal Studies or Learning Sciences major, or by passing the Multiple Subject California Subject Matter Exam for Teachers (Multiple Subject CSET)
    2. Secondary Emphasis: Students will demonstrate mastery of the required subject matter (mathematics, English, social science, biology, chemistry, physics) by completing a directly applicable bachelor's degree (as applicable) or by passing the Single Subject California Subject Matter Exam for Teachers (Single Subject CSET in credential content area). Results of the CSET are only valid for five years.
  10. Fingerprint Clearance — An original Certificate of Clearance must be received from the CCTC prior to enrolling in student teaching.


Undergraduate Student - Part 2
  1. Tuberculin test results — Valid within one year prior to student teaching.
  2. U.S. Constitution Requirement — Satisfied by one of the following:
    1. AP History or AP American Government & Politics Exam clearly listed on transcript to meet LMU requirement for any course listed next point.
    2. Successfully completing one of the following LMU courses: HIST 1300, 1301, 1401, or POLS 1200.
    3. Passing an approved examination offered online.
    4. Completing an approved course at another institution.
  3. Satisfactory progress towards appropriate LMU degree subject or CSET (when applicable)
  4. Advising
    1. Academic Advising: All candidates are required to meet with the Academic Advisor once a semester. Candidates are advised on appropriate course sequence and program information.
    2. Professional Advising: All candidates are expected to meet with the Professional Advisor (Program Director/Assistant Program Director) once a semester. Candidates will discuss academic course progress, career plans and goals, dispositional issues and other issues related to the teaching profession.


Per Federal Regulation 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v), all LMU School of Education credential/licensure programs meet the California state requirements as specified by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) and for the CA Board of Behavioral Sciences as appropriate. The institution has not made a determination as to whether these credential, licensure, and professional preparation programs meet the requirements of states outside of California. If you are interested in practicing outside the state of California, it is recommended that you contact the respective licensing entity of that state to seek information or guidance regarding their licensure and credential requirements in advance to allowing appropriate planning.