Teaching Credential + M.A. Curriculum

LMU's 1+1 program (credential in year 1 and M.A. in year 2) provides candidates the ultimate in flexibility to getting certified in elementary, secondary, bilingual, and/or special education.  An M.A. in Transformative Education (or Special Education) rounds out credential coursework with a further focus area of concentration selected by candidates.  For qualified individuals, the bilingual authorization coursework can be included as a concentration with the M.A. program.

LMU's Teacher Preparation programs were created with a vision of providing flexible methods to meet essential pedagogical field experience requirements within program pathways. These three pathways are:

  1. Student Teacher” with field experiences completed as a student teacher in a mentor teacher’s classroom;
  2. Intern or Resident” with field experiences completed as a full-time teacher in your own classroom at a public school; and
  3. Private” with field experiences completed as a full-time teacher in your own classroom at a private school. 

Please note that candidates who are full-time intern or private school teachers are required to be teaching the grade level(s) and subject(s) in their classroom that match the credential they are pursuing.  All coursework is offered in synchronous online sessions within small class settings.  Field experiences are in authorized California schools. It is a requirement that participants reside in California while completing the credential.

Elementary and Secondary Curriculum
Special Education
Bilingual Education



Due to the primarily online nature of our LMU teacher preparation programs, we are currently unable, per federal guidelines, to issue documentation for international F1 visas.   

Per Federal Regulation 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v), all LMU School of Education credential/licensure programs meet the California state requirements as specified by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) and for the CA Board of Behavioral Sciences as appropriate. The institution has not made a determination as to whether these credential, licensure, and professional preparation programs meet the requirements of states outside of California. If you are interested in practicing outside the state of California, it is recommended that you contact the respective licensing entity of that state to seek information or guidance regarding their licensure and credential requirements in advance to allow for appropriate planning.