Soria, a city of 40,000 inhabitants, is located in the Autonomous Community of Castile and Leon. It lies at approximately 140 miles to the northeast of Madrid.
Soria is a very safe, very walkable city. Most of its attractions, hotels, and restaurants are within a 20-minute walk from the city center, where the Colloquium venue is located. The venue address is:
Centro Cultural Palacio de la Audiencia
c/Plaza Mayor, s/n
As an added benefit, the sun sets past 10pm during the summer. This gives sorianos and visitors plenty of daylight hours to enjoy the city and its surroundings. Summer temperatures may reach the 80's and 90's during the day, yet drop significantly in the evenings. This often makes it necessary to wear a sweater or jacket in the evenings (sorianos' omnipresent "rebeca").
City attractions include:
- The Romanesque churches of Santo Domingo and San Juan de Rabanera, both initially built during the 12th century. Santo Domingo spots a spectacular facade and rose window. San Juan de Rabanera is better known for its apse.
- The San Juan de Duero Monastery and Cloister. Founded by Templars in the 12th century. It shows four different types of arches, reflecting various influences.
- San Saturio Hermitage. Beautiful hermitage on the banks of the Duero River.
- The Dehesa Park. The pride and joy of the city.
- The Duero Riverwalk. More than 6 miles of walking pathways alongside the river.
- The ruins of the Celtiberian city of Numancia lay just five miles away from Soria, in the village of Garray, while the Museo Numantino is located on Paseo del Espolón in Soria.
- Renowned poets Antonio Machado, Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer and Gerardo Diego lived in Soria. The Casa de los Poetas at the local Casino houses exhibits of their respective lives and works.
The following links contain information on different aspects of Soria and its province:
- TURISMO SORIA: The official website of the Soria Office of Tourism. Find out everything Soria has to offer, from historical facts to cultural events, from typical products to self-generated routes, from lodging to audio guides, the best way to get to know the city.
- SORIA VACACIONES: Activities in Soria by category.
- SORIA NI TE LA IMAGINAS: A wealth of information on Soria and its province, with downloadable maps and documents.
- CAMINO SORIA: Tourist guide to Soria and its province.
- CASAS RURALES SORIA: Accommodations in different locations of the province.
- SORIAVENTURA: Outdoor activities.