These requirements are for our traditional teacher preparation programs in secondary education (with student teaching) for candidates who are not already teaching full-time in a public, private, or charter classroom. You may request a detailed information packet for further explanation of our traditional teacher education program in elementary, secondary, special, or bilingual ed. Our online application system provides additional information and forms for these requirements.
- Online Graduate Application (MA in Secondary Education, Secondary Single Subject Preliminary Teaching Credential)
- Statement of Intent (3-5 page, typed, double-spaced, essay describing how your experiences, qualities, and goals reflect the School of Education's conceptual framework summary - REAL: )
- One set of official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended (can be sent electronically from your academic institution(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org.) A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0, or a 3.05 in the last 60 undergraduate units, or a 3.0 in at least 9 graduate units. A request for an exception to the GPA requirement is also available.
- Applicants who completed an undergraduate or graduate degree outside of the U.S.A. or U.S. Territory will need to provide a formal transcript evaluation by professional transcript evaluation agency, and either the TOEFL or the IELTS minimum score of English proficiency (for applicants from countries where English is not a primary language).
- Three (3) Professional Letters of Recommendation (at least one letter confirms your experience and familiarity with the age group school age group you plan to teach)
- Verification of technology skills (the online application walks you through this)
- Verification of 20 hours of experience working with culturally diverse youth in the age group you plan to teach.
- Professional Resume
- California's Basic Skills Requirement
- Certificate of Clearance (COC) - also known as LiveScan/fingerprinting
- Verification of the U.S. Constitution Requirement
- Tuberculin Skin Test Result (test results less than one year old)
- Appropriate Subject Matter Competency Test (CSET)
The School of Education also has a partnership program for aspiring teachers in Catholic Schools:
The School of Education also provides partnership programs for those already teaching full-time, including:
- An for those already teaching in public, private, and charter schools.
- For full-time Catholic School educators, we also offer the Program.
- For all other formal LMU partnerships with agencies for district interns, such as Teach For America, among others, please contact School of Education Admissions directly.