These requirements are for our traditional teacher preparation programs in secondary education (with student teaching) for candidates who are not already teaching full-time in a public, private, or charter classroom. You may request a detailed information packet for further explanation of our traditional teacher education program in elementary, secondary, special, or bilingual ed. Our online application system provides additional information and forms for these requirements.
- Online Graduate Application (MA in Secondary Education, Secondary Single Subject Preliminary Teaching Credential)
- Statement of Intent (3-5 page, typed, double-spaced, essay describing how your experiences, qualities, and goals reflect the School of Education's conceptual framework summary - REAL: )
- One set of official transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended (can be sent electronically from your academic institution(s) to firstname.lastname@example.org.) A cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0, or a 3.05 in the last 60 undergraduate units, or a 3.0 in at least 9 graduate units. A request for an exception to the GPA requirement is also available.
- Applicants who completed an undergraduate or graduate degree outside of the U.S.A. or U.S. Territory will need to provide a formal transcript evaluation by professional transcript evaluation agency, and either the TOEFL or the IELTS minimum score of English proficiency (for applicants from countries where English is not a primary language).
- Three (3) Professional Letters of Recommendation (at least one letter confirms your experience and familiarity with the age group school age group you plan to teach)
- Verification of 20 hours of experience working with culturally diverse youth in the age group you plan to teach.
- Professional Resume
Additional Optional Sections in Application:
If you have completed any of the following California credential requirements to date, please do upload them in the application at the appropriate section. If not, you may skip the section.
- California's Basic Skills Requirement ~ frequently verified during application process
- Certificate of Clearance (COC) - also known as LiveScan/fingerprinting
- U.S. Constitution Requirement -- see info packet or online application for details
- Tuberculin Skin Test Result (test results less than one year old)
- Appropriate Subject Matter Competency Requirement
In addition to the traditional public school teaching credential track, the School of Education also has a partnership program for aspiring teachers in Catholic Schools, Partners in Los Angeles Catholic Education (PLACE) Corps, as well as a partnership program for for those already currently teaching in Catholic Schools, Catholic Archdiocesan School Teachers (CAST) Program. We have additional robust innovative options available for full-time teachers in charter and public schools as well which we call our 'Intern/Full-Time Practitioner' track.
Per Federal Regulation 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v), all LMU School of Education credential/licensure programs meet the California state requirements as specified by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) and for the CA Board of Behavioral Sciences as appropriate. The institution has not made a determination as to whether these credential, licensure, and professional preparation programs meet the requirements of states outside of California. If you are interested in practicing outside the state of California, it is recommended that you contact the respective licensing entity of that state to seek information or guidance regarding their licensure and credential requirements in advance to allowing appropriate planning.