We're pleased to know that you want to explore further! Brief answers are provided here with full length answers available by clicking the questions listed.

What is a School Psychologist?

School psychologists primarily work in TK-12 schools helping children succeed academically, emotionally, and socially. They conduct assessments, collaborate with parents, teachers, and administrators, provide counseling, develop behavioral and academic interventions, and are sought after leaders in helping to create safe, responsive, and supportive learning environments for all children.

Why LMU?

NASP and CTC accredited; social justice focus; small class size commitment; cohort program; faculty and peer support; renowned fieldwork sites; excellent reputation; highly trained outcomes with sought after licensure both in and out of state.

What are the steps to take in the application process?

There is an online application, where you will also provide official transcripts, a statement of intent, three letters of recommendation, and GRE test scores.

When is the deadline to apply?

Priority application deadline is the first Friday of February. If additional slots are available, applications received later in February may be considered. The early deadline allows time to thoroughly review your application, to schedule group interviews in early March, to distribute admission decisions via email in late March, and to ensure successful candidates have all requirements completed in time to enroll in classes in Summer.

How long is the program?

We offer a complete program in three years. Candidates begin together and take all coursework together, graduating together. Practicum and fieldwork (internship) experiences are completed concurrently in the last two years of the program. Our programs begin each Summer (first week of July). For example, with this upcoming cohort:

  • Year 1 is Summer 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021
  • Year 2 is Summer 2021, Fall 2021, Spring 2022
  • Year 3 is Summer 2022, Fall 2022, Spring 2023
  • Happy Graduation for this cohort is May 2023

What type of undergraduate or previous academic coursework should have?

Successful candidates have majored in psychology, child development, education or highly similar field. Other candidates have completed prerequisite coursework in psychology (18 semester units) prior to the first class of this program in July.

Is there a minimum GPA required for admission?

Generally speaking, a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 is required. However, there are many ways we evaluate candidates. If your overall undergraduate GPA is under 3.0 equivalency for a semester system, we do still encourage you to apply. You can submit a "Petition for Admissions Through Exceptions Committee" form to add as a component in the review and evaluation of your application.

What time of day/days of week are School Psychology classes offered?

  • In Fall and Spring semesters, each 3 unit class meets once a week, either from 4:30 pm to 7:00 m, or from 7:15 pm to 9:45 pm.
  • In the Summer semester(s), can 3 unit class meets twice per week either from 4:30 pm to 7:00 pm, or from 7:15 pm to 9:45 pm.
  • The first class in the program begins in Summer Session II, which begins in the first week of July.
  • Practicum field experiences in Year 2 are two full-time days per week.
  • Fieldwork field experiences in Year 3 are four full-time days per week.

Will I need to get fingerprinted?

Yes. We need candidates to submit fingerprints and paperwork to receive a Certificate of Clearance once they have been accepted into the program. This clearance is required by enrollment in the first summer class. (Candidates that already hold a valid California teaching or service credential have already completed this step.)

Will my certification apply in other states?

Per Federal Regulation 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v), all LMU School of Education credential/licensure programs meet the California state requirements as specified by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) and for the CA Board of Behavioral Sciences as appropriate. The institution has not made a determination as to whether these credential, licensure, and professional preparation programs meet the requirements of states outside of California. If you are interested in practicing outside the state of California, it is recommended that you contact the respective licensing entity of that state to seek information or guidance regarding their licensure and credential requirements in advance to allow for appropriate planning.