In this program, you take 30 units of coursework: 4 core courses (12 units), and 6 elective courses (18 units) selected in consultation with your academic advisor. Because you can choose your electives from any of the School of Education's available courses, this program offers you maximum flexibility in designing your study plan, and allows you to center your coursework around your personal goals and professional objectives.

Core Courses (12 units)

  • EDUR 6100 Anthropological Analysis of Cultural Diversity
  • EDES 6103 Curriculum and Instructional Leadership
  • EDLA 6105 Assessment and Research Methodology
  • EDSP 6390 Lifespan Development

Elective Courses (15 units)

  • In consultation with the Program Director, you will select six additional 5000 or 6000 level Education classes. Two may be in a discipline outside of education. At least 18 units of coursework taken in the program must be at the 6000 level.  Eligible California educators may choose to complete their electives through coursework selected for an added authorization to their teaching credential in bilingual or literacy education.

Final Assessment

  • EDES 6900 Capstone Project

EDES 6900 is a three unit class taken during the candidate's last semester in the program. During this class, guidance will be given for the semester-long Problem of Practice paper which will be written to complete this program. 

This program is not combined with a California teaching credential although it does offer flexibility for those who hold a credential to obtain an added authorization in Bilingual or Literacy Education.


For programs that include coursework for a credential, certificate or added authorization, per Federal Regulation 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v), all LMU School of Education credential/licensure programs meet the California state requirements as specified by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) and for the CA Board of Behavioral Sciences as appropriate. The institution has not made a determination as to whether these credential, licensure, and professional preparation programs meet the requirements of states outside of California. If you are interested in practicing outside the state of California, it is recommended that you contact the respective licensing entity of that state to seek information or guidance regarding their licensure and credential requirements in advance to allow for appropriate planning.