M.A. Programs & Specializations

The Counseling Program offers three degrees: (1) Master of Arts in Counseling-LPCC (60 semester units), (2) Master of Arts in School Counseling/Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) School Counseling Credential (48 semester units) and, (3) Master of Arts in Guidance and Counseling (41 semester units).

M.A. in Counseling with LPCC Intern Eligibility (60 units)

The Master of Arts in Counseling (60-units) positions candidates for licensure as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC), thus maximizing post-graduation degrees of freedom as mental health professionals working in clinical mental health and private non-profit agencies. Our M.A. in Counseling program is also designed to prepare aspiring counselors for K-12 public, private, and parochial schools. As part of the Master of Arts degree in Counseling, (60 units), candidates may select one of the following two degree options:

School Counseling

This specialization is for candidates who desire to work in a K-12 public and private school settings. Candidates will gain experiences that include individual, group, educational and career counseling, college advising, teacher consultation, and prevention programming. The completion of this specialization will also result in eligibility to receive an Advanced Pupil Personnel Services (PPS) Credential from the State of California. This program is approved by the State of California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) and the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE).

Clinical Mental Health Counseling

This M.A. specialization is for candidates who desire to work in clinical mental health or outpatient hospital settings. In addition to classroom instruction, candidates will gain fieldwork experiences offering mental health counseling to clients from a variety of age groups and presenting with a variety of emotional concerns and challenges. Licensed and/or appropriately credentialed supervisors serve as mentors for these pre-professional experiences. Additional experiences may include group counseling, assessment, and family counseling.

The Master of Arts in Counseling (60 units) degree has been identified by the Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS) as meeting the statutory requirements for Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC) under the Business and Professions Code section (BPC) 4999.32.

Both specializations share a common core of courses that includes learning counseling theories, best practices relative to quantitative and qualitative research and evidenced-based approaches across a variety of settings relative to individual, group, career and multicultural counseling and consultation services. The M.A. in Counseling degree includes 12 additional course units and 6 units of fieldwork experiences, which offer candidates the opportunity to specialize in a particular area of counseling.

M.A. in School Counseling with PPS Credential (48 units)

The Master of Arts in School Counseling/PPS School Counseling Credential (48 units) is designed to prepare aspiring counselors to maximize their professional mobility in K-12 public, private, and parochial schools. These candidates do not intend to pursue LPCC licensure.

M.A. in Guidance and Counseling (41 units)

MA in Guidance and Counseling (41 units) prepares candidates to work in higher education and/or non-profit settings (e.g., university academic advisor, career counselor, etc.)  Candidates in this program often see their primary professional role as one that involves counseling young adults as they navigate their way through the college experience. While they do not intend to pursue LPCC licensure or a PPS credential, they may see this MA degree as excellent preparation for a doctoral program.

Request a detailed information packet describing more about each of these programs!




Per Federal Regulation 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v), all LMU School of Education credential/licensure programs meet the California state requirements as specified by the California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC) and for the CA Board of Behavioral Sciences as appropriate. The institution has not made a determination as to whether these credential, licensure, and professional preparation programs meet the requirements of states outside of California. If you are interested in practicing outside the state of California, it is recommended that you contact the respective licensing entity of that state to seek information or guidance regarding their licensure and credential requirements in advance to allow for appropriate planning.