Loyola Marymount University (LMU) is offering a professional development certificate in Teaching Mandarin in PreK-12 Classrooms this summer, between May 2016 and February 2017. This hybrid (online) program is taught in Mandarin by experienced and exemplary instructors and is geared specifically for Mandarin speakers and teachers in immersion, bilingual/dual language and heritage language programs for the purpose of increasing their instructional skills. Course content is designed for credentialed Teachers and non-credentialed teachers who have intermediate or advanced skills in Mandarin. The 12-unit continuing education program of study is offered through a combination of on-site, online, and video-telecast meetings.
- Course 1a & 1b: Content-Based Language Instruction and Curriculum Development- 4 units/2 units
- Course 2: Practicum in Teaching Mandarin - 2 units
- Course 3a: Assessment Basics - 3 units
- Course 4: Chinese Grammar Pedagogy - 3 units
- Requirements: Completion of four courses, 12 units total.
- Grade Requirements: "B" or better in each class
"Teaching Mandarin in PreK-12 Classrooms" flyer coming soon!
Successful completion of three, four (4) unit courses with a grade of "B" or better is required to earn the Certificate. Participants can earn a total of up to 12 continuing education units. Prior to course enrollment, participants should check district requirements for CEU acceptance and salary point equivalency.