The Center for Equity for English Learners presents a three-day interactive series on teaching and learning for grades Pre K-12, featuring the Observation Protocol for Academic Literacies. The OPAL Institute is a tool for guiding reflective teaching practice for English Language Learners.
The OPAL Institute is designed for participants to:
- Build expertise in identifying and providing feedback on effective practices for ELLs
- Examine critical aspects of engagement and interaction for ELLs
- Learn how to identify topics for differentiated professional development based on OPAL observations
- Become certified OPAL trainers upon completion of the three day institute
Educators who utilize students' cultural and linguistic resources while developing students' academic competencies have the potential to significantly transform schools and educational systems.
Who should attend?
- District/School Leadership Teams
- Site Administrators
- Teachers/BTSA Mentors
- English Language Learner Instructional Specialists/Program Coordinators
- DAIT/SAIT Providers
What is OPAL?
The OPAL is an observation protocol that can be used as a tool for refining classroom practice in Pre K-12 diverse settings.
Key Features of OPAL
- Research-based classroom observation instrument
- Established as a reliable and valid classroom observation measure
- Aligned to California and National Teaching Standards (CSTP/NBPTS)
- Focused on essential components for working with ELLs in multilingual settings
Register early – Space is limited to 25 participants.
- Next Institutes:
LACOE OPAL Series #1: January 17, 18, & February 8, 2018 (Institute has been postponed)
LACOE OPAL Series #2: March 19, 20, & May 2, 2018
- Time: 8:30am - 3:30pm
- Location: Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE) - Room TBD
- Note: Attendance is based on LACOE criteria. Please contact the Multilingual Academic Support (MAS) at (562) 922-6332 for more information.
Additional OPAL Opportunities
In partnership with the Los Angeles County Office of Education (LACOE), CEEL is pleased to announce the following upcoming OPAL opportunities:
OPAL Collaborative Session - Day 1: February 15, 2018 (8:30am-12:30pm)
OPAL Collaborative Session - Days 2 & 3: TBD
Note: Attendance is based on LACOE criteria. Please contact the Multilingual Academic Support (MAS) at (562) 922-6332 for more information.
For more information or support with registration contact CEEL at firstname.lastname@example.org or (310) 568-6117.